Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The Benefits of First Things First



Parenting is hard.
Keeping a house presentable is hard.
Keeping fit and healthy is hard.
Getting enough sleep is hard.


Now that that is out of the way let's talk about a few disciplines that really can make a difference!

Looking out at my yard this morning I could sense a wave of "overwhelmed" headed my way.  SPRING...that change of season does it to me every single year!

I dusted off the lawn mower and mowed FIRST.  
AMAZING! 
All of a sudden it did not look so big!  I've done this so many times and it's proven to make a huge difference in the rest of the undertaking. 

Your bedroom may really need some help.  Do you make your bed every morning?  It's the same principle!  Make your bed nicely (3-5 mins) and your room does not look as bad.  It may even be enough to spur you on to keep going!  Pick all the laundry up. Get rid of the piles. Put the clothes, shoes away. etc.   Think Sanctuary

How about your kitchen?  Don't leave dishes in the sink! Make sure before you go to bed to have the sink empty and everything put away.  It makes a BIG difference in the morning!  When I am cooking dinner I often will have a sink of soapy hot water ready for the pots, pans and utensils that I am using to make the meal.  By the time I'm done the dishes have soaked and cleanup really fast!  Wiping counters, tables and keeping up with the floors after every meal makes the day seem better. Yes it's work but that's beside the point.  Life is work and Life is hard so why not try to give yourself a break!

We often are simply our own worst enemies.  
I watched a baby enjoy some of those little snack puffs on the floor..
before long the container beside her was tipped over with more spilling out.
Before long she was no longer interested.
Before long people were walking through them .
And before long a 10 second fix became a much bigger clean up.  
(man I notice everything !! lol) and it comes from not only years of doing it but also the fact that I DON'T WANT TO WORK HARDER THAN NECESSARY!

Be kind to yourself!  Stay on top of these things, and when unexpected company stops in you'll be secretly smiling to yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment