Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Decorum

I awoke with a word on my mind 

DECORUM 

Not one I use or think of often

Last night on a quick trip to Walmart with my 4 yr old grandson we watched as two children, likely brother and sister in “maybe” karate gear, played with 24 pack toilet paper bundles.
They were having a great time bumping into and butting each other with them center aisle while their mom watched  laughing sideline 

No one got hurt
The store was not super busy 

But was it wise?
Was it the proper place?
Does it teach something?
Is it just personal preference?

I struggle with these thoughts in this day and age
It seems “things have changed “

“You’re just being super sensitive. It’s no big deal. They’re only kids. “

Ezra looked at me with a questioning smile. 
I said “they look like they’re having fun!   He nodded .. I’m sure at 4 he would have joined them if invited 

I said” Ez  do you think this is the best place to play like that?  Where are we? Where do we play this way? Is it good?” 

I’ve sat in “nicer” restaurants, looking forward to a leisurely quiet dinner, when a family with young kids are placed beside me.  The rest of the story I’ll leave to your imagination. 
Dancing, hide and seek, a mixture of tired parents and pentup children in a place set aside for “dinner out”.

 Is it wrong? Are there better thought out choices?
 We’ve read stories of people voicing their thoughts that have led to all out brawls!  

What’s funny for one may not be for another. 

Decorum 
“behavior that is controlled, calm, and polite:
As young ladies we were expected to act/behave with proper decorum.”

All this to say... I was brought up on a dairy farm with all brothers, in a very small rural town, but my mom taught me decorum
There’s a place to dance
A place to be rough and tumble 
A place for families to eat out

BUT ITS NOT EVERY PLACE!


capeesh??

1 comment:

  1. Hello sister Marnie. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you as a Godly woman who has opened her house for the ministry. It was interesting to go through your blog post on " Decorum". I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I HAVE been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great country where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your young children to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time or encourage young people from your family circle to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete