Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dehydration

A conversation that I had with a friend last night has prompted this reminder.


Her son had an intestinal thing going on and  he was looking emaciated.  This was a great concern for her.  Here are her words of what happened:  


 Even though he was sleeping i went to pray over him and this time putting my hands on 


him the sandpaper texture of his skin seemed " so loud" to me that I  was surprised I didn't 


notice it earlier.   I checked his mouth and it was dry. Thinking back thru the day, even


 though we were giving him drinks, he had only peed once all day. So I called the Dr. and he


 needed 2 bags of IV fluids! He still looks all bones but his face isn't sunk in looking and he


 is  acting MUCH better!




 Another story: last year when my mom was was settling down to play a game of scrabble with a friend, he came and got me 20 minutes into the game.  She was just sitting there.  Not talking just looking at her letters.   I asked her a few questions and she was in a "complete zone".  We took her to the emergency room where she was diagnosed having a UTI and being very dehydrated.   She ALWAYS carries around a drink with her so we did not notice.  As soon as a bag of fluids were in her she was back to normal.


The Doctor said that dehydration is very common in young children and the elderly.  SO  let's not forget this!  During this season of colds and stomach bugs  remember to have juices, water, pops etc etc available for the invalid  to eat...even jello.


Better safe than sorry. 


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment