Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Jesus and Santa

A Reader writes:
I have a question for you. We have been doing the elf on a shelf with our son  but I don't know if this is OK to do. Is believing in Santa and the elves wrong to teach? I struggle with this and I'm not sure if I should just tell him the truth.




Marnie's thoughts:


I love the traditions of Christmas.   I grew up with stories of Santa leaving all my father's toys out in the middle of the back field at 3 in the morning..  How the children had to get dressed and walk way out in the cold to collect their toys, strewn over the frozen ground.(This because my grandfather had surprised Santa  by trying to catch him and "he" flew out of sight throwing the toys as he went)
Also a time when my dad and siblings were sitting in front of the fire on the Eve of Christmas when a whole harness  etc came down the chimney into the fire, strewing sparks everywhere.


We grew up on pins and needles from Thanksgiving on as my dad would work over time throwing pebbles at windows  ringing bells and being seen far away in his red Santa suit. 


 I love those memories.


My mom would focus on the manger and we knew it was Christ's birth.  It was not a confusing time.  This is all personal preference and today it is harder to protect your child's innocence as children seem grown up at 5.


I never once thought that my parents were liars when I found out.   I was a little sad as I  missed  the suspense of the season   


It is a personal preference.  I don't think that you should lie but living in the mystery  and excitement  of the season has made a childhood memory that I  never want to forget.


There is a great sculpture of Santa kneeling at the Manger.  Set your nativity up and tell the story.  Make a memory by moving Baby Jesus every night as He makes his journey to the manger on  Christmas morning.  This is a good activity for the child that now "knows" the truth and gives them a chance to be part.


We would hang numbered handmade snowflakes or Christmas trees that we hung  from the doorway and the children took turns taking one down.  We also did an advent calendar.
There are SO MANY things that you can adopt as memories.  Just google Christmas for children and see what comes up.  Pick a few that  will work for your family and have fun!


Jesus it's YOUR birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment