Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A reader writes:


My 8 year old is NOT a shy child at all! However, when we went by my office to drop some paperwork off and people were saying hi to her, she grabbed my jacket and hid behind me and was "acting" shy. I addressed it quietly then and told her to say hi back, and she quickly started to smile and laugh and interact appropriately. When we got home, I brought it up again and addressed it further and told her that her actions were rude and that it would be much more polite to say "hello" back or simply smile and wave her hand. 
In my case, it was what seemed to me to be attention seeking behavior...she thought she would get more attention if she were to act shy...but in her attempt to gain more attention she was being rude.
...is this an appropriate conclusion?



Thank you for your comment.  I believe that you did the correct thing. 
2 things
#1 In most situations I don't believe that an 8 year old is thinking through "getting more attention"  She is just reacting to a situation and being "awkward".  One of the definitions is  "lacking social grace and assurance"


#2  In the bold type of the comment lies a great technique.  "when we got home"  It is a GOOD thing to bring back up situations like this and take them from a "happening" to a learning time.  
Use everything, parents.   USE things you see, hear or deal with personally by bringing them back into discussion.  If parents would do this instead of overreacting, berating and or overlooking and dismissing...children would learn alot faster.  


5-6 year olds and up will benefit from these learning times and you will as well knowing that you have addressed certain issues.  It is not wasted on younger children as well but you will have to remind more often.  ie  the next time you are going out address it before hand reminding the child what their response needs to be.   
You can even play act it out.  All these techniques help.



No comments:

Post a Comment