Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nicknames

Do you have nicknames for your children?


My dad was big on giving everyone a second name.  Each of my children had at least one.  


At Cousin Camp this year we were talking about having nick-names and we thought of one for our youngest camper.  It was going to be "Loser".  He lost everything!! Shoes, hat, drink etc etc etc.  We laughed about it but never used it because of the connotation.  Even though our intention was ok the word itself would not have been kind. 


I had friends along time ago that called their children "Brat"   I have heard "little devil" and "stupid"


Think about what you call your children.   If you want to have a family nickname think it through as it will be something that they hear over and over.


In the movie "The Help",  a Negro maid/nanny took the little girl aside daily and said the same thing over and over:  
"You is kind, You is smart, You is important".  
  
I love that~over and over each day...until they believe it themselves!


Same to you my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment