Sunday, October 30, 2011

Noise

The world is FULL of it!  I know many who, walking into the house carrying groceries, will go and turn the TV on before setting the bags down!   


When was the last time that you sat in silence?  In the car we listen to talk radio, at work we have noise of one kind or another all around us, at home the TV, kids, phone, etc etc are always vying for attention.  


Practice some silence today ~ solitude.  Teach your children young that it is good to know silence.  I'm sure some of you think right now that this is totally crazy!.  I don't think so.   start with 5 minutes, sitting in a chair quietly do nothing.... Want to know how to stretch your time?  Try this exercise! 5 minutes can actually feel quite long!


It is good for children to be silent.  Years ago we used to hear "children should be seen and not heard".  While we live in a different time and society today I do believe there is something to this saying.  Children need to learn how to sit still, be quiet, wait their turn etc etc without having a melt down...The idea is to start young.    


Practice today with sitting with your children at the dinner table with a timer on for 3 mins.  Try it every day for a week or 2 then lengthen it.   


Last winter one of my granddaughters came to spend the night and go to church with me.  On the way home from the service I asked her if she would like to go to Friendlies or eat at home.  She immediately said the restaurant.  Within a few minutes she said "Grandbabe, do you think we could just go home and eat?"  I quickly agreed and as I was making some soup and a sandwich she quietly gathered books and sat down by the wood stove and read for hours!  I realized that being the oldest of 4 little ones she needed quiet and it did not take her very long to realize that was what she wanted and needed!   Good for her!! 


Try it!  You might like it!!


Blessings!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment