Monday, October 10, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

Years ago I attended a Family Homeschool Camp for a week.  IT WAS WONDERFUL!   
One day as some of the moms sat out under the trees talking, a young mom spoke to me about how her little one just ignored her when she called and how frustrating it was.  Her little girl, around 3 was playing with children within viewing distance.


I told her that she was being given a perfect opportunity to work on the behavior.  I suggested that she call her daughter right then.  "Brittany, come here please"  Brittany looked up but continued to play.  She called again.  No one came.  I then encouraged her to go and get her.  She did and brought her back to where we were sitting and spoke at length to her about coming when called.  She had her little one sit with her for 5 minutes or so, again reminded her to come when called and let her go.  About 20 minutes later we went thru the whole process again.   After an afternoon of practice Brittany's behavior changed.  She came when called.


Now...... this is wonderful but you MUST be consistent or you will lose any progress immediately.  It will truly be worth it in the long run.  Just mean what you say.
During our week of summer Cousin Camp, one of the rules is "to come when you are called"   I follow this very strictly.  While having a bunch of little ones in my care, I feel it mandatory that they come when called ~  the FIRST TIME~.  It is the only rule that can break our Primary Rule of    *Ice cream everyday*


Yes a couple of campers have gone without ice cream for a day but I assure you it only happened once~
Parents~  MEAN WHAT YOU SAY!  Sat what you mean!


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment