Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Teething....

Poor baby!


Chewing on everything,  drooling all day long.
There is really no way of knowing when those first little teeth will break the surface.  My babies all were around 10 months which is thought to be quite late.  I have seen babies pop a tooth as early as 8-10 weeks old!


Please beware of some symptoms that can accompany teething.   Acidic smelling diarrhea, sore red bottom and a low fever.   I have seen it over and over again and I have also heard and read from Doctors that these symptoms have nothing to do with teething.!   Then why, may I ask them, do the symptoms go away as soon as the tooth break the surface?  


Granted it may not affect 100% of all babies this way but I do believe it is quite common.


Providing something that they can chew on is good (other than the breast :( ) is a good thing.  Keep a bib on the baby and change it often and that will help with the laundry and change the diaper as soon as there is any evidence .   A cold cloth to chew on or a teething toy is good plus a  low dose of baby pain reliever will help get you over the hump.   
Mom it won't last forever.... Make sure YOU get your rest so that you  can help your child endure the discomfort with out adding your irritation/frustration.


You are doing a good job!
Blessings!


PS  I found that on the few times I was "bit" while nursing that a quick reaction and tap on the thigh was enough to stop the biting from becoming a habit.  Not pleasant for anyone! 

1 comment:

  1. All great stuff to be reminded of. Dannika just cut her first tooth (at 9 months, much later then carter) and she seems to be having a much harder time than he ever did. So I really didn't have to experience the teething til now. Thanks for reminding me that it doesn't last forever, because when you are right in the middle of it, you forget there is an end in sight :) Love your blog Marnie, thanks for sharing! ~Bre

    ReplyDelete